Sunday, May 8, 2011

One Eighty

When I first moved to Idaho, the whole region was in the midst of a drought. Springs were dry and summers were drier. The earth toasted a crusty brown in a surprising number of places. Those first few years the snow melted early and they closed the Big Hole to fishing because the water temps got too high. It was global warming or it wasn't. God was mad or he wasn't. The answers changed depending on who you talked to. Occasionally someone said something like this: weather is cyclical.

I don't know if that is true. I don't know if weather is cyclical. But I do know that we are in the midst of a good run when it comes to snowpack and wet springs. Some say its global warming. Some say it isn't. It still depends on who you talk to. Either way no one is worried about not having enough water this year. Mostly folks are worried about having too much.* Its a stark difference from 10 years ago.

*h/t: Montana Fly Fishing Guides 

Its funny how our first experience creates a baseline for us, no matter how far from "average" that experience might be. I remember those first few years I thought the lower Henry's Fork fished best in early June. Only now do I realize that in an average year the feeder streams often color up the river those first few weeks in June. Last year my best fishing on the river came in July. Some part of me that refuses to believe time moves on when I am not present wants to tell me that these last few years are the outliers. But the cold hard light of statistics reveal that my baseline was skewed.

Oh well. I suppose that kind of thing happens all the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment