Monday, April 11, 2011

The Portrait of a Solo Fisherman as a Photographer

I have kind of a funky schedule. I get every other Friday off from the day job and I work a fair amount of evenings and weekends, which I can trade in for half days of here and there. And I accrue vacation at a pretty significant rate. This (along with my generally poor personality and overall lack of friends) all adds up to me spending a fair amount of time on the water alone.

I don't have a major problem with this fact. Sure, there are times when I wish I had someone else along for the trip, and I often find myself wishing that some of my favorite fishing pals could get away from the day jobs that seem to be killing them both slowly and softly. But for the most part I don't mind fishing alone. I get all the best holes and on a weekday I sometimes never see another human on the river. That is excellent.

But one of the problems I have as a solo fisherman is the fact that I also enjoy some good on-stream photography. Fishing solo limits the photos somewhat. Its more difficult to get a nice a fisherman in the foreground of a landscape for scale or composition reasons. And of course, it makes photographing fish a real bugger. The reason most of my fish photos are macros of fish lying in the net is because I am often alone when snapping the photo, and there is no one to gently lift the trout out of the water and point his nose at the lens.

Over the past few years, I have learned how to take better fish shots as a solo fisherman. And a few weeks ago I got some nice ones that I quite enjoyed. So check out the slideshow and I hope you enjoy them as well. That big streamer is the Butt Monkey I mentioned in the last post.

Check out the full screen version if you like.

2 comments:

  1. I love the fifth photo in this set. The framing (a technical photography term that I am most likely using incorrectly and most likely isn't a technical term) of the photo is amazing. To be more specific, it is the photo of the brown appearing to swim out from underneath the net. Great fish and great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, man. And I think you used the term accurately. Or not. I don't know.

    ReplyDelete