Saturday, February 12, 2011

Eddy Music: The Soundtrack of Winter Fishing


I have actually been kicking this idea around in my head for awhile now, and it still can’t decide whether it is complete madness or sheer genius.  Which is probably an indication that I am a mad genius and two years from now I will be holed up in an underwater volcano lair (complete with a pool full of sharks with frickin’ lasers attached to their heads) attempting to extort money from the United Nations—or at least that company trying to put a gold mine in at Bristol Bay.

Wait, what was I writing about?

Oh yes, my idea. So a couple of months back I posted the first Eddy Playlist (a blatant This is Fly rip-off, which I admitted and apologized for but that doesn’t mean I will stop). Since that post I have been occasionally racking my brain trying to come up with an interesting angle for the playlist idea. I mean I could do the obvious fly tying music, which is a natural for a post in February, but that just seems too easy.
So instead I decided to make a list of songs that I feel are somehow symbiotic with winter fishing. Genius, right? Or madness. Like I said, I’m undecided on that. But I am going ahead anyway because there is no one here to stop me by pushing me into that giant pool full of sharks with frickin’ lasers on their heads.
Are these songs about winter? Not really. Are they about fishing? No. Then what they crap do they have to do with winter fishing? Ahh, now you are beginning to see the mad genius-like quality of it all. 

These songs—in their core—seem to have some mystic element that reminds me of winter fishing. Let’s face it, winter fishing is often a cold, quiet experience. A quiet struggle, really. And a lonely one if you do it right. The river is empty and beautiful in an Ansel Adams kind of way. The bugs are tiny and the fish are lethargic. Freezing to death and getting skunked are both distinct possibilities. But some part of me really enjoys winter fishing. It’s a unique fishing experience. And if it were a movie, these songs would be my selections for the soundtrack.

Yeah, it is ridiculous, but I enjoy it.

Full Disclosure Alert: Just like last time, if you click through the links you’ll arrive at the Amazon Mp3 page for the song (or album) you clicked on. If you purchase, The Eddy gets a small commission.

The Soundtrack of Winter Fishing:
  1. The Only Living Boy in New York – Simon & Garfunkel (from Bridge Over Troubled Water)
  2. O’Brien’s Nocturne – M. Ward (from End of Amnesia) 
  3. The Lowering (A Sad Day in Greenvilletown) – The Avett Brothers (from Four Thieves Gone)
  4.  The Ghost of Tom Joad – Bruce Springsteen (from The Ghost of Tom Joad)
  5. Dark Eyes – Bob Dylan (from Empire Burlesque)
  6. Workin’ for the MTA – Justin Townes Earle (from Harlem River Blues)
  7. Milk Thistle – Conor Oberst (from Connor Oberst)
  8. Grace Cathedral Hill – The Decemberists (from Castaways & Cutouts)
  9. Resurrection Fern – Iron and Wine (from The Shepherd's Dog)
  10. Natural Beauty – Neil Young (from Harvest Moon)
  11. Mutineer – Warren Zevon (from Mutineer)
  12. Heaven – The Talking Heads (from Stop Making Sense)
  13. New Slang  – The Shins (from Oh, Inverted World)
  14. Only Him or Me – Townes Van Zandt (from Live at the Old Quarter)
  15. Waco Moon – Todd Snider (from New Connection)
  16. How the West was Won and Where it Got Us – R.E.M. (from New Adventures in Hi-Fi)
  17. Butterfly – Weezer (from Pinkerton)
  18. Adelaide – Old 97’s (from Drag it Up)
  19. Space Oddity – David Bowie (from Space Oddity)

No comments:

Post a Comment