Saturday, July 26, 2008

Talking to the Streamer King

Hatches magazine has an interesting interview with Kelly Galloup, owner of the Slide Inn on the Madison and streamer afficianado. Its certainly worth checking out as Kelly always has something interesting to say. I particularly liked his explanation for why streamers sometimes seem to draw so many tugs, but not as many fish.
When you get a fish that is on and off quickly it is not because the fish short struck the fly it is because it ate the head of the fly and you did not get the hook in the fish, likewise when you get the fish in the outside of the jaw it is because the fish ate the head and when you set the hook the fly was held by the head and slid into the outside of the jaw. That is why I started tying so many short shanked articulated flies, it really had little to do with trying to make flies bigger, it was the realization that the fish were eating the flies at the head and we were losing so many fish due to the long shank hooks. I often hear anglers talking about short strikes or the fish ate the tail. I think this is 100% incorrect. They will always strike the head first, if a trout eats a sculpin tail first it would die by getting the spinney dorsal stuck in its throat. Everything in nature has a defense and that is the small bait fishes. The other down side to the long hooks is the fishes ability to role and torque a long shank hook out of its mouth. If you question that consider that a tarpon hook is a less than two inches long and yet many of the standard trout streamer hooks are three inches long.

This makes a lot of sense to me and I do tend to use some long streamer hooks. I think I will have to tie some articulated patterns this fall and see if I start hooking fish with the short-shanked front hook or the trailer hook.

1 comment:

  1. My friend guides on the Madison and Kelly Galloup outfits him. My friend is almost entirely a streamer fisher now, with the articulated fly his number one fly. He does quite well with it on the Madison.

    ReplyDelete