Friday, January 4, 2008

At the Boat Launch

This is the initial post of ‘In the Back Eddy,’ my sure-to-be-ill-fated foray into the waters of cyber-journalism/publishing. By clicking on the post button, I have launched my pontoon boat into an unknown stream. If I don’t make it, I hope it ends quick, with as little pain as possible.

The purpose of this blog is vague and nebulous, sort of like a blue wing olive hatch that never quite gets cranking but draws the occasional rise for an hour or three. The content will focus on fly fishing; specifically fly fishing in the greater Eastern Idaho and Western Montana region, with a bit of Oregon, Wyoming, Utah, and who knows where else thrown in. I don’t intend to sell out any of the secret fishing holes I have stumbled upon or been shown in confidence over the years (honestly, there aren't very many). So if you are a fishing compatriot of mine and you are reading this: please, put the phone down and throw away the number for the local hit man. I will discuss the conditions of various rivers and link to fishing reports from the professionals (that is, flyshops) as well as pass along bits of info and photos from my own trips. So if you are looking for some nuggets for your next trip to my part of the world (and plenty of you seem to make it out here every summer), go ahead and stop by.

I will also relate various other types of info. Because I majored in English, and I spend my weekdays editing poorly written technical jargon, I am a sucker for a well-written sentence or paragraph. Especially if these words speak of fly fishing. I plan to channel this need to read into a weekly (or bi-weekly) book recommendation. This blog will also focus on conservation efforts for local (and sometimes no-so-local) fisheries as well as any other info about the health of our rivers and lakes and the trout that dwell within them. I am also kicking around the idea of including fly recipes and pictures on a semi-regularly basis. Hey, what do you want, it’s a work in progress.

Also, it is unlikely that I will be able to keep myself from occasionally commenting (or lamenting) about a myriad of other subjects—especially Phillies baseball, Utah State University basketball, Arsenal soccer (or futbol) and any other topic from the world of sports that might take over my brain for a moment or two. If you find yourself reading this thing, and such meandering starts to annoy you, let me know. I don’t want to be one of these people who comes to believe that the world wants to know their opinions on every subject just because they figured out how to post a blog.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the fold friend, it's a hellish business, with little reward.

    New blood is needed, and us tired old hacks need company

    ReplyDelete